Bowflex SelectTech 552 Review – The Dumbbells Of Choice?
Ask most gym trainers, and they’ll tell you that lifting weights is one of the most important activities you can do to improve your health. With strength training, you get to boost your body strength. And for that kind of exercise, you’ll need either barbells or dumbbells.
Now if you don’t want to pay extravagant gym fees, you’ll need some weights at home. But they can be expensive. And what’s more, they can really take up a lot of space. But those problems can be solved with the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
Features of the Bowflex SelectTech 552
So what’s so special about these popular dumbbells? Let’s talk about the features first:
• The Bowflex adjustable dumbbells can weigh from 5 pounds to 52.5 pounds. You get 15 different sets of weights in just a single piece of equipment.
• You use a special dial system to determine the weight you wish to use for the dumbbells. For the first 25 pounds, you can increase the weight by 2.5-pound increments.
The way it works is simple enough. There’s a dial at the end of the weights, and you just turn the dial at each end to get the weight you need. Turning the dial retains the weight plates to get the weight you want, and the rest of the weights are left behind.
Since you can set the weights on each side of the dumbbell separately, you can have one side much heavier than the other side. This configuration may be better for certain types of exercise.
• The construction of the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells is quite sturdy and durable.
• The handle is shaped ergonomically (it’s slightly thicker in the center than on the sides near the weights). The handle has slight ridges to help you get a better and firmer grip.
• The design is attractive enough, and it actually looks good displayed in your living room.
Pros of the Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
There are several reasons why you want to buy the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells rather than a full set of fixed-weight dumbbells. For one, this much is more economical. A full set of fixed-weight dumbbells can be rather expensive.
Another reason is that a full set of dumbbells occupy quite a lot of space. What’s more, the can be dangerous for your health, especially if you keep them lying on the floor. With the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells, you just get a single pair and you don’t need much space for them.
But of course, those are the advantages of any adjustable dumbell set . So why pick Bowflex? There are three very good reasons to choose this particular set:
1. Changing weights is especially easy and reliable. You just turn the dial and you get the weights to get what you want. About 99% of the time, it works well enough. But in some rare cases, the weight may not “catch” properly if the plates move a little bit. In any case, it’s not much of a problem at all. You just shake the plates a little and the problem’s gone.
2. The plates are securely in their place. That’s always a problem with adjustable dumbbells. The tabs that secure the plates in place may fail (especially when they’re made of plastic) and the plates can fly all over the place. But with the Bowflex SelectTech 552 you have metal tabs in place so they won’t fail.
3. The grip is also very secure, so you can exercise with confidence that it won’t slip from your hand.
Cons of the Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
Of course, it won’t be perfect for everybody. The length of the dumbbells is fixed, but each person has a different hand width and different preferences regarding the length. Some people may simply not like it at all because of this.
And of course, there’s the price. Many people simply don’t believe that it’s worth the $549 suggested retail price. But you may find it sold for much less, simply because this is a 2009 model.
If you check out the Amazon reviews, the reception for these weights is amazingly positive. It has received an average rating of 4.6 stars out of 5, and that’s based on more than 1,400 reviews. Among these reviews, more than 1,100 of them gave it a perfect 5-star rating, and it only received 47 one-star reviews. That’s a ratio of more than 22 five-star reviews for every single one-star review.
When you consider all the positive and negative reviews, the score is even more lopsided at 1,328 positive to 73 negative. The last 10 reviews gave it either 4 stars or 5 stars as well.
What’s important to consider here is that the 2009 model featured in the Amazon page is a much improved version of 2008 model. The 2008 models received a lot of complaints regarding the plastic tabs that kept the weights in place. They didn’t really last all that long especially if you tended to drop the dumbbells carelessly. With the 2009 version, those plastic tabs were replaced with more durable metal tabs.
Curiously, the older version still received a lot of positive reviews, and the negative ones virtually stopped coming once the metal tabs were used.
So if you need to lift weights (and these days, who doesn’t?) you may as well buy the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells for your own home use. It works as well as can be expected, it doesn’t take up all that much space, it will last you a very long time, and you don’t really have to pay the suggested retail price. When all things are considered, this will give you a very large bang for your buck.